The Officials are the third team on court, without whom the game would not happen. England Netball supports it’s extensive playing programme with a fully developed officiating department offering assistance from grass roots up to the elite international level.
Officiating Courses and Mentoring support are available across the County and South Region. Both Beginner and C award courses are organised by the County Netball Associations whilst B award courses are organised regionally.
Into Officiating Course
Aim: To introduce the rudiments of umpiring a netball match.
- To have knowledge of basic rules of the game
- To identify obvious infringements of the rules
- To apply correct use of voice, whistle and terminology
- To be aware of correct positioning
- To keep an accurate scoreboard and call the score
- To identify the requirements for the England Netball Into Officiating Award
- Prepare candidates for assessement
Towards C Course
Aim: To prepare umpires with knowledge of the rules and umpire competencies to umpire at average adult club level.
- Penalising correctly obvious infringements of the rules
- Correct use of whistle, voice, hand signals and terminology
- Positioning and movement on side line and goal line
- Understanding when contact interferes with play
- By widening vision beyond the ball
- To identify the requirements for the FENA C Award to include competencies
- To prepare candidates for assessment
If you are interested in becoming an umpire or match bench official contact your County Umpiring Secretary for further information:
Officiating Course Booking Form
Due to England Netball carrying out a REVIEW of all courses programmed for the forthcoming netball season we will NOT be able to advertise any courses until August 2019. Once advertised we would expect that there will be a rush to get places booked. Please continue to check out this webpage for updates. We hope to offer courses from October through to April 2020 in the near future.
Isle of Wight